I've worked on this recipe for a while, tweaking here and there until I've got what I think is a beautiful thick, fluffy pancake/pikelet. Even my mum wanted this recipe!!! The kids LOVE to help making them and seeing them rise as they cook. Lovely hot with sugar and lemon juice or cool with jam and cream. Even lovely the next day - if they last!!!
3c SR Flour (3c plain flour with 6tsp baking powder)
1/2 tsp Bi-Carb Soda (baking soda)
3tsp Lemon Juice (or juice of 1 lemon - does not need to be exact)
1) In large mixing bowl sift flour and bi-carb soda. Melt butter and set aside.
2) In a separate jug combine milk, sugar and lemon juice. The juice may give the milk a curdled appearance - this is ok. Whisk through the egg and combine with dry ingredients in the bowl.
3) Whisk until all obvious lumps are removed. Add butter and whisk thoroughly - the mixture will start to smooth out and become glossy - it will start to thicken as the bi-carb starts to react with the lemon juice. If you think the mixture is too thick you can add extra milk until the consistency suits you.
4) Pour small amounts of batter onto pre-heated and greased hot plate (I use an icecream scoop - perfect size or us!!) and when bubbles appear turn over - finish cooking and enjoy!!!
* try with a little added nutmeg and cinnamon for a spicy twist :)
** Store in the fridge in an airtight container - separate with baking paper if layering.
*** Suitable for freezing :) Thaw at room temperature.
Makes approx 36 medium pancakes